As a long time Julia Quinn fan, I have many favorite books by her, but The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever is at the very top of the list. Mostly because it’s one of my all-time favorite tropes. The heroine, Miranda, has had a crush on Turner, her best friend’s older brother, for the longest time. Because of the age gap between them, he marries another at a young age thinking he’s in love, but becomes a bitter, angry man once he finds out that she was unfaithful to him. When she dies, Turner is determined to never be at the mercy of love or a woman again.
Now, we all love a good tortured hero and Turner definitely falls under that category. Although he can come off as rude, and several mistakes he makes with Miranda had me cursing him, underneath all the outrageous behavior and snark, is still the amazingly kind man that Miranda had a crush on. As the story goes on, that man begins to emerge, Turner becomes a hero you can both fall for and wish to shake some sense into, depending on where you’re at in the book.
But overall, Turner is as Swoon-Worthy as they come and here’s why.
1. Turner is a man. Like a take no prisoners, I want to kiss you and I will man, and I love that about him. Even when his attentions are completely inappropriate, you gotta love a man that just kisses you like there’s no tomorrow.
2. Turner is a champion. He gets that Miranda has always had insecurities about herself and thinks she’s plain, but that is not what Turner sees and even when he tells himself he has no interest, he goes out of his way to make Miranda feel good. When he tells her that if he was interested in a wife, and Olivia was not his sister, that he would have found her lacking, and have flocked to Miranda’s side. #melting
3. Turner has this dry, sarcastic wit that makes you laugh, even when he is being outrageous and rude. When his mother scolds him for not wearing his mourning band for his wife, his responses are s appalling to her and hilarious to the reader. Shocking ones’ mother is a time honored tradition for me and my mother, which is probably why I find Turner so delightful…we’re both ornery.
4. Turner doesn’t give a tinker’s damn what anyone thinks of him. Except for Miranda.
5. He is so determined; once he sets his mind to something, nothing will sway him. And when Turner makes a mistake, he does everything in his power to make amends…even if the person isn’t ready to accept his apology.
If you are looking for a book with a beastly, broken hero, snappy dialogue, and a touching romance, this is definitely one you shouldn’t miss.
An obsessive bookworm, Codi Gary likes to write sexy small-town contemporary romances with humor, grand gestures, and blush-worthy moments. When she’s not writing, she can be found reading her favorite authors, squealing over her must-watch shows, and playing with her children. She lives in Idaho with her family. Codi can be found on Facebook, Twitter, andCodiGaryBooks.com.