One Little Kiss. Sometimes that’s all it takes. A good kiss can turn a first date into a perfect date or a perfect date into love. As a die-hard fan of romantic stories and movies, I’m thrilled when a sexy, inspired kiss kicks off the action or wraps up the story with a happily ever after. I’m a sucker for that kind of thing. So here’s my list of amazing movie kisses, a half-dozen fantastic, fall-for-me lip locks that made me believe that sometimes a kiss really does say it all.
- Crazy, Stupid, Love. Such a sweet, funny movie about the not-so-smart choices we make for love, and while Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore are adorable together, it’s the moment when a rain-soaked Emma Stone walks into a bar, grabs Ryan Gosling and pulls him into a kiss that says, ‘Now or never, gorgeous’, that knocks the movie out of the park for me. Out of the park.
- An Officer & a Gentleman. So you’ve heard the adage, ‘there’s nothing like a man in uniform’. Well, if that man is the damaged and determined Richard Gere striding through a factory to lift a gob-smacked Debra Winger into his arms and carry her away to what can only be an afternoon of delight, well, that adage makes a helluva lotta sense. Perhaps the most romantic movie ending of all time. Definitely top three.
- Jerry Maguire. “You had me at hello.” is the single most romantic line in any film and the way Tom Cruise pours his heart out in front of a room full of love-singed, cynical divorcees is perfect romantic comedy. I want to be Cameron Crowe. Or at least spend a day with his genius.
- Made of Honor. I know, I know. I can hear the groans already, how can a film like Made of Honor be mentioned in such close proximity to Jerry Maguire? Trust me, I get it, and while it’s true that MOH ain’t a great movie, Patrick Dempsey is at his most sexy when he kisses Michelle Monahan in that Scottish pub. I mean, swoon time. Love me some Patrick Dempsey.
- Spiderman with Tobey Maguire (got a thing for Maguires, I guess) and Kirsten Dunst. Spidey aka Peter Parker is hanging upside–down, it’s rainy and romantic, and Mary Jane rolls up his mask just enough to kiss him with a sweet longing that is all kinds of romantic. Afterward as Spidey sails through the city, whooping and laughing…well, the moment just feels like love.
- The Notebook. The sexiest, melt-your-heart, gotta-get-me-some-of-that-action kiss in movie history ever. Period. The rain. The passion. Ryan Gosling. Words escape me. Sometimes it’s just about the kiss.
In my newest Lovestruck, it’s the intimacy of a tropical rainstorm that allows two love-damaged people to let go of their carefully-managed defenses, and give into in an unexpectedly lovely kiss. Clearly, I have a thing for rain (and Ryan Gosling). Maybe you do, too? If so, I hope you’ll find a stormy spring afternoon to indulge in my May release, One Little Kiss.
GIVEAWAY: Have a favorite romantic kiss scene? Love one of the films on this list? Or maybe there’s a screen kiss you adore that didn’t make my dirty half dozen? Let me know in the comments section. I’ll be gifting a $5 Amazon card to one lucky commenter and I’d love to hear your thoughts! Big thanks to Ever After Romance for hosting today. xoxo.
ABOUT MAGGIE KELLEY: After ten years of survival, aka working, in Hollywood, this former actress and current author of sexy contemporary romance is living happily-ever-after with her longtime sweetie, AKA Husband Number 1, and their two occasionally punky kids. When not carpooling to birthday parties or testing her gourmet cooking skills by throwing a frozen pizza into the oven, Maggie daydreams about sneaking off to the Vegas or Napa, or even just the movies. A love of red wine, Italian food, and music round out her list of life’s greatest joys. Oh, and Tuesday night karaoke, totally underrated fun!