I’m a sucker for the forbidden love trope, especially when it’s tossed in with a little unrequited love. In Knocked Out By Love, my hero Brody “The Iron” Minton has been in love with his best friend’s wife for years. He hates the feelings he has for her, but he can’t control the feelings either. So he keeps his distance, only hanging out with his friend and shutting Scarlett from his life. Until a chance meeting brings them together again and he learns her marriage is over, then he faces the struggle between keeping to the bro code and what the heart wants.
Some of my favorite forbidden love storylines are:
1. Damon & Elena (The Vampire Diaries)—If anyone has been following me for any length of time, you already know that I am ga-ga over Damon Salvatore. His love for Elena is one of my all-time favorite love stories. It was the one thing that softened him. The catch? Elena was in love with Damon’s brother, Stefan. Here is a clip of one of my favorite scenes from the early seasons.
2. Robbie & Ceclilia (Atonement)—If you haven’t seen this movie, it’s a real tearjerker, so just warning you.
3. Johnny & Baby (Dirty Dancing)—Gosh, I loved this movie! Here we have the rich, innocent heroine and the experienced bad boy hero from the wrong side of the tracks. Baby’s parents didn’t approve, but to hell with them. No body puts Baby in a corner.
4. Josie & Sam (Never Been Kissed)—Now the only reason this one was an okay forbidden love story was because we knew that Josie was an adult playing an student while trying to get a story for her newspaper.
5. Marlena & Jacob (Water for Elephants)—Another tearjerker movie for me, but I loved this story. Marlena is married to the abusive circus master when Jacob, a vet, joins the group to help care for Rosie, Marlena’s elephant. While the two of them care for Rosie, they develop feelings for each other, which creates a whole slew of new problems with her abusive husband.
What is your favorite forbidden love story?
I want to thank EverAfter Romance for hosting me today! It’s been great fun!
Abby Niles is the author of the contemporary MMA series, Love to the Extreme, and the paranormal series, The Awakening. She is also the author to the geeky romantic comedy, Defying Convention, where Live Action Role Players (LARPers) set out to teach their favorite author a lesson, but end up playing matchmaker instead.
Abby lives in North Carolina with the love of her life and their combined gaggle of kids. When she’s not writing, she’s trying to catch up on an endless pile of laundry and find time to get some much needed reading in.