The beginning of a new series is an exciting time. The curser blinks at you on the computer screen and you pause a moment before beginning. This new book could be anything, the possibilities are endless. It’s exciting! It’s terrifying!
Here are my top five most exciting things about starting a new series.
1. Freedom of imagination. In writing a new series I get transported somewhere new and get to explore a whole new world with interesting new people. It is fun to let the wheels turn and see where it all goes.
2. Freedom from insistent characters. At the risk of sounding slightly insane, Lady Kate has been haunting me. I have been thinking about her story for years. YEARS. She demanded I write it and now that I have I can have a bit of peace. Well, now I’m bothered by Darington to write his story…
3. Watch the story unfold. I know, you think I actually write the story, like I’m in control or something. I thought that too, but nooooo, Lady Kate and Wynbrook had to do things their own way. Sometimes I feel like I’m just around to document how things are playing out between the two of them. They certainly had an adventure!
4. Learning what I need. I’m not sure how it happens, but usually whatever the main characters need to learn is where I’m at in life. The moral of the story is often something I need to learn. If you want to know the lessons I’ve needed to hear, just read my stories. Writing novels for me is something akin to journaling, only with fictional characters, and letting everyone else read it too! Ack!
5. Holding my book baby. After all the hard work, I love the moment when my books arrive at the door and I get to hold my book baby for the first time. It takes me about nine months to write a novel, so it is very much like giving birth – pain and aggravation included! Yet when I see it in print it’s all worth it!
I hope you will enjoy reading my first novel, If the Earl Only Knew, in the new Daring Marriages series. What do you enjoy most about starting something new?
About If the Earl Only Knew:
The chase is on in award-winning author Amanda Forester’s brand-new Regency romance series!
A sizzling scandal just waiting to happen…
Orphaned at a young age, Lady Katherine Ashton and her brother have spent most of their lives on the high seas, seeking to restore their family fortune through somewhat dubious means. After that kind of adventure, Kate knows she won’t ever be accepted as a proper society lady.
To the annoyingly clever, temptingly handsome, and altogether troublesome Earl of Wynbrook, society ladies are a dead bore. Kate, on the other hand, is scandalous, alluring, and altogether fascinating. And Kate can’t decide which she relishes more, the thrill of chasing fearsome pirates, or having Wynbrook chase after her…
Amanda Forester holds a PhD in psychology and worked many years in academia before discovering that writing historical romance was way more fun. A Publishers Weekly Top Ten author, her books have been given starred reviews from Booklist, Publishers Weekly, and a Top Pick from RT Book Reviews. Whether in the rugged Highlands of medieval Scotland or the decadent ballrooms of Regency England, her novels offer fast-paced adventures filled with wit, intrigue, and romance. You can visit her at AmandaForester.com.