- My favorite gets top billing for one reason alone: it introduced me to romantic suspense. I’d just gotten a new computer with a built-in e-reader (new stuff to me back then) and one of the free books offered was Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels. I read it and absolutely fell in love with the genre, which played a huge part in getting me where I am today.
- Speaking of where I am today, I have to give some serious props to Jane Beckenham’s To Love a Thief and Eve Devon’s Heart of Steel. Yes, they are books one and two in the Steel Hawk series, but they’re also really incredible stories with fantastic writing. Both of these authors blow me away, time and time again.
- Another book that stands out for me is Jenna Ryan’s A Voice in the Dark. The author’s voice is amazing and the book is just so fun to read, but it also has another level. The hero, Noah, has kept himself hidden, and the moment he reveals himself to the heroine absolutely melted me into a puddle of goo.
- I can’t make this list without mentioning the Nancy Drew Case Files. There was just the barest hint of romance between Nancy and Ned, but the chapter endings were what got me. I was probably twelve-ish and staying up all night because I couldn’t put the book down at the hook. I remember that now as an author when I close my chapters, and to this day I read suspense in one sitting.
- The book that holds the honor of most amazing moment I’ve ever read is…unknown. I forgot the title. It’s a romantic suspense from Harlequin Intrigue, and the hero kidnaps/rescues the heroine from her house in the nick of time, as heroes are prone to do. They end up on the run, their enemies ruthless, and there’s a lot of biting dialogue exchanged. The hero is tough as nails, and he refuses to tell the heroine his name for much of the book. The moment he finally trusts her with that piece of information is one of the most amazing I’ve ever read. I think of it often and needless to say it drives me absolutely crazy that I’ve lost track of which book it is, so if anyone out there knows, I’m on my knees. Tell me, please!
Posts Tagged ‘Sarah Ballance’
Have you ever heard rumors of ERMAGERD sex in unusual or oddly cliché places and wondered if it could POSSIBLY be that great? I mean, how do these people not end up in the emergency room? (Spoiler: I’m pretty sure some do, LOL.) In honor of Jagger’s and Kennedy’s near miss (or maybe not) with the Mile High Club in The Millionaire’s Gamble, here’s a look at some of the most popular places for “wild” sexual encounters…and why they actually suck.
- The Beach. Seriously, is anything more romantic than the surf tumbling around you, your sexual rhythm at one with the sun, surf, and tide? Maybe not in theory but OMG HAVE YOU ACTUALLY TRIED THIS? First, sand is abrasive, and abrasion is no way to kick off sex. Second, there’s almost zero chance you won’t drown. Anyone who has spent more than ten minutes by the ocean has probably noticed the amount of water that churns from crested surf is inconsistent at best. Sure, there will be a couple of waves that delightfully tickle the naughty bits, but then one will come along that will want you dead. A six-inch surge of water driven straight up your nostrils will suck if you’re on the bottom, but it’s not so great on top, either. Mainly because when you start laughing at your drowning partner, he or she will not be amused. (You can file that under Mood Killers.)
- First of all, the lavatories are notoriously disgusting. But let’s pretend you found a clean one without questionable wet spots on the floor or dubious streaks anywhere else. We still have two problems. One, no matter how clean it looks, it’s not. Two, you’re fornicating in the same canned air where countless people have taken care of business. Not exactly a venue for heavy breathing. And if you pull this encounter off elsewhere in the plane, remember it’s probably not much cleaner. That said, if you manage to rock it out in first class, carry on. *fist bump*
Today we have author Sarah Ballance sharing her playlist and answering our questions in honor of her book, For Seven Nights Only. We hope you enjoy! Be sure and pick up your copy of For Seven Nights Only today!
1. How do you make your playlists for your books?
So I have a quirk. I listen to the same playlist for every book, every time, and there hasn’t been an exception yet. The music in question? Every song Jason Aldean has ever released on a studio album. I’m not completely insane – the list is currently 78+ songs strong – but I can seriously hear the first note of any one of those tracks and I’m immediately in my zone. I think that’s why I don’t mess with it, despite my absolute love of so many other songs and artists.
2. Do you use the entire playlist for the whole book or specific parts for certain sections or types of scenes?
Even though I play the entire thing on repeat, what’s interesting is I tend to notice the songs that most relate to the part of the book I’m writing. During the black moment, I find myself singing along to the sad ones (Grown Woman, The Heartache That Don’t Stop Hurtin’), while the soulful, smokin’ hot ones (Burnin’ It Down; Talk) grab my attention during the sexier parts of the book.
3. How does the music impact your writing process?
Well, for one thing it tends to scatter the kids. I don’t usually use ear buds because I have a habit of singing along without realizing it (and trust me, no one needs to hear that), so while the kids all like the music, they don’t like hearing it nonstop. Plus when it’s playing, that’s their cue to leave me alone unless whatever their crisis involves bone protruding through skin. (I have six kids. I’m not kidding. LOL.) Writing without distraction is so much more enjoyable than fighting for words, and while I don’t crush on Jason Aldean the man, I always absolutely lose myself in his music. The words just pour from me.
Leave the ordinary behind and find romance with the powerful heroes and passionate romance of Indulgence. Every story features fantasy alpha males to romance and tempt you. The power. The wealth. The position. We have it all, and with new titles releasing every month, Indulgence is irresistible and will keep you turning the pages.
EverAfter Romance was kind enough to invite us to introduce some of our authors and to let them tell you a little bit about their heroes. We hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we do!